Wednesday, May 7, 2008

National Geographic Green IQ Test

Where to start?

Well let's start at the beginning with a self assessment of moi's efforts to cause climate change. Warning, I'm just getting started and my efforts are limited but, it's a start.

Here it goes, my largess to protect mother earth:

1. Change lightbulbs at home (from the old "incandescent" bulbs to the new CFLs --compact fluoresecent bulbs).
2. Increase A/C temperature when I leave the house for work
3. Lower window shades to reduce heat from afternoon sun
4. Inflate automobile tires to appropriate levels
5. Take public transportation (OK so I don't take the bus to work which is 5 minutes away by way of my own car. Taking the bus would take an eternity of 30 minutes). But I do take the Metrorail and TriRail when my route coincides with the above ground rail or train once a month.
6. Wash, rinse and dispose of recyclable materials in appropriate bins
7. Reuse paper for scratch paper, printing
8. Collect used and expired light bulbs, cell phone batteries and cell phones and mail or drop off at specialty recycling centers.
9. Use coffee mugs at work vs. paper cups
10. Run errands on the same day in a planned route to save gas. Saturday or Sunday are my days to run errands.
11. Spread the word! Well, I started this blog--does this earn me a brownie point?

What I know I should do but do not:

Admittedly and shamefully, I still use plastic bags at the grocery store instead of the reusable shopping bags. Wait, I have two now.

I could ride my bike to the beach but my bike was stolen and I have not invested in a replacement yet. No excuse.

What more can I do to change the climate crisis?

Scouring the Internet and other media, the information is overwhelming and yet there are many unknowns. For example, is it better to flush biodegradable cat litter waste down the toilet or throw it out with the unrecycled trash? Every flush of the toilet apparently uses precious water supply but then throwing it with unrecycled trash will land in a dump fill. Anyone have the final answer? Alex Trebek? anyone?

With any new "initiative", it's probably best to start with what you know or don't know about Going Green. Here is a simple test by National Geographic to rate your current efforts and knowledge of recycling and more. So here it goes...Join me.

No comments: